Over the past 12 months many individuals, groups and organisations have been working together to make Honiton more Dementia Friendly.
Five things you should know about dementia
- it’s not a natural part of ageing
- it’s caused by diseases of the brain
- it’s not just about losing you memory – it can affect thinking, communicating and doing everyday tasks
- it’s possible to live well with dementia
- there’s more to a person than dementia
To celebrate achievements and to share ideas for the future we are holding A Dementia Friendly Fayre on Saturday 12th September at The Beehive.
- 11am Dementia awareness talk by Heather Penwarden
- 2pm – 3pm See displays from groups working towards being more dementia friendly
- 3pm – 4pm Hear short presentations about some dementia friendly initiatives
- 4pm – 5pm Take a trip down memory lane with a performance of ARCHIVE by Dance Lab who will take curiosities lying forgotten on bookshelves and in boxes to animate personal histories through the creative medium of dance. At the end of the performance there will be an opportunity to share with us something from your own family archive if you would like to bring something along (object, photo, recipe…)
Please do join in our celebration by coming along on the day. You can also take part in our “community bunting making project” to decorate the town on Saturday 12th September [coordinated by Thelma Hulbert Gallery]
For more details contact Penwarden@btinternet.com 07966135442